Ryan Charles Bio
Ryan Charles is a mobile professional and entrepreneur. He is the founder of Consumr, a ratings app for consumer products. Called the “Yelp for packaged goods” by the Wall Street Journal, the app is ranked #1 for Reviews in the App Store, has quickly become a top 40 app in its category, and enjoys a 4.5 star rating. Consumr is a 2013 Webby Award Honoree. Shoppers have submitted over one million product ratings via the Consumr app. To accelerate the company’s growth, Ryan built partnerships with product companies ranging from leading toy and baby brand Hasbro to beverage giant Pepsi.
As an innovator in the mobile space, Ryan was the Head of Mobile for the Zagat restaurant guides and revitalized their mobile and social visibility. He turned their traditional print guide into all-time top selling apps on the iPhone [#134] and iPad [#33] in Apple’s 2011 all-time ranking. These apps were rated 4.5 out of 5 stars during his tenure. As well, Ryan has garnered multiple Webby nominations for his work with iPhone, Android, and augmented reality. To broaden social and mobile presences, he built first-of-its-kind brand partnerships with companies like Foursquare, Foodspotting and Flipboard. Ryan was at the forefront of innovation with mobile reviews including submission of reviews via mobile web and mobile apps, ratings integrated into augmented reality, and mapping check-in data to review reminders. Zagat was acquired by Google in 2011.
Industry leaders including Apple, Google, and Microsoft have featured his products in various TV commercials, mass media campaigns, and promotions. His work has been cited in Gary Vaynerchuck’s “Thank You Economy” as creating a template for old brand success in the modern digital world.
Ryan has been interviewed by the The New York Times (2/10, 11/10) The Wall Street Journal (8/08, 12/12), TechCrunch (8/10, 7/11, 5/12), Ad Age (2/10, 6/11), The Huffington Post, The New York Observer, The Next Web, renowned blogger Robert Scoble and various technology websites. He has spoken at conferences and panels including ones for Google, Ad Age, Harvard Business School, CTIA, Wharton Business School, Social Media Week, Publisher’s Business Conference, and Internet Week among others. He most recently spoke at the 2013 World Economic Forum. Ryan also holds the distinction of having presented 3 times at the famed New York Tech Meetup, representing both brands and startups.
His previous roles have included web and mobile marketing, as well as interactive product management and marketing in the e-commerce field. He is an executive member of the IADAS. Ryan earned his BA from Brown University.
Quotes about Ryan:
New York Times Best-Selling Author Gary Vaynerchuk
New York Observer
"The social media whiz kid"
Former Microsoft CTO & Zagat investor Nathan Myhrvold
"The most important person at the company"
"Zagat’s brand builder"
"(Ryan’s work) pretty much sets the pace for mobile social dining in the future."
Presentations and Panels
- Google I/O: May ‘09
- NY Tech Meetup: May ‘09
- Ad Age - Apps For Brands: Sept ‘09
- Augmented Reality NY: Jan ‘10
- Publishing Business Conference (PBC): Mar ‘10
- Mobile Monday NY: April ‘10
- Tabula Rasa: April ‘10
- Columbia Business School: May ‘10
- The Big Money Untethered: June ‘10
- Ogilvy & Mather: June ‘10
- Location Based Apps Meetup: Aug ‘10
- Harvard Business School Cyberposium: Nov ‘10
- Wharton Business School BizTech: Dec ‘10
- MESA Presents Augmented Reality: Dec ‘10
- NY Tech Mixer: Jan ‘11
- NY Tech Meetup: Feb ‘11
- Social Media Week - Social Commerce: Feb ‘11
- SXSW 2011 - IdeaCOMM: Mar ‘11
- GeoWorld Summit: May ‘11
- Hoboken Tech Meetup: May ‘11
- Internet Week - Social Food Apps (Moderator): June ‘11
- Internet Week - Food 2.0: June ‘11 (Moderator): June ‘11
- Internet Week - We Are New York Tech: June ‘11
- Real Estate Connect - July ‘11
- Google Think Branding - Oct ‘11
- Pluggedin Ventures Social Media Summit - Oct ‘11
- Stamford Tech Meetup - Nov ‘11
- LaGuardia College - Nov ‘11
- CTIA Wireless - May ‘12
- NYC Mobile Forum - June ‘12
- New York Tech Meetup - July ‘12
- Columbia Business School - Dec ‘12
- Scott Stringer (MBP) Press Conference - Dec ‘12
- Brand Activation Assocation - Jun ‘13
- Advertising Week - Sept ‘13
- World Economic Forum - Oct ‘13